Thursday, January 27, 2011

Note to a CAF user: Compassion is for everyone

Dear Friend,

I read both of your posts on CAF, and I felt that I should draft a response.  Since I cannot find the threads at this time (and they likely have been deleted) I will post it here. 

You seem to have a problem with the fact that other users presumed him innocent, as they did not know all the facts.  I too do not pass judgment.  It is not my place to do so, and I also do not know everything.  I can only imagine the hurt you must feel to here that a close friend has been accused of such terrible crimes, and indeed they are terrible.  He may very well be guilty and I'm sure that weighs heavily on you.

But I want you to remember something.  Jesus did not and does not tolerate sin and the unrepentant will receive the justice they deserve, but he also ate with sinners and treated them with compassion, refusing to turn their backs on them.  Are we not, as followers of Christ, supposed to do the same?

We cannot have compassion for the victims of crime while simultaneously spitting on the criminals themselves.  Compassion flows to both sides.  We must pray for both victim and victimizer, if indeed the man you speak of is guilty.  The sin, not the sinner, is the thing we must condemn.

It is the truly Christian thing to do.

Peace be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment