Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Congressman Nye Seems to think Prop 8 ruling is no big deal

A while ago, I wrote to my Congressional Representative, Glenn Nye (D-VA) asking him to oppose the Prop 8 ruling of Judge Walker.  This is what I got from him.

Dear Mr. Jurek,

Thank you for contacting me in opposition to Judge Walker's ruling in the case of Perry v. Schwarzeneggerwhich, if upheld, would overturn Proposition 8's ban on same-sex marriage.  It is helpful to learn the views of my friends and neighbors in Hampton Roads and on the Eastern Shore, and I appreciate having your input.

On Wednesday, August 4
th Judge Vaughn R. Walker ruled that California Proposition 8's ban on same-sex marriage "cannot withstand any level of scrutiny under the Equal Protection Clause" and that "excluding same-sex couples from marriage is simply not rationally related to a legitimate state interest."  However, immediately following the ruling, Judge Walker put a stay on his own opinion, pending the expected higher court challenge.  The opinion only applies to California and does not affect federal law, which does not recognize same-sex marriages.
Judge Walker was first nominated to the federal bench by
President Ronald Reagan in 1987.  Due to his conservative record, his confirmation was delayed for two years by Congress. 

I believe in the balance of power between the three branches of government and have confidence in the process of the Judicial Branch. Should Congress consider any related legislation, I will be certain to factor your recommendations into the decisions I make. 

Thank you again for sharing your views.  I am proud to serve Virginia's Second District, and I am committed to working hard for you.  If you would like more information about the issues I am working on in Congress, or if you would like to sign up to receive my monthly e-newsletter, I encourage you to visit my website at www.nye.house.gov.

Apparently he hasn't done much thought about this, because anyone with an  inkling of how things work in this regard, he'd know the ruling sets a precedent that any and all attempts to defend marriage are "unconstitutional" including federal law, and now homosexualist activists have a legal precedent to argue for the recognition of homosexual "marriage".

Yes, the ruling is a big deal, because now any defense of marriage is out.

Mr. Nye, please, for the good of society, oppose this ruling on it's face and fight for marriage in Congress, resist any attempt to redefine marriage.

Pax Christi.

No comments:

Post a Comment