Saturday, April 17, 2010

Bomb the Vatican?

Apparently, at least one Australian thinks we should.

After making an idiotic comparison of Pope Benedict XVI and the Catholic Church to Osama bin Laden, Australian columnist Bob Ellis then proceeds to say this little gem.

Why not bomb the Vatican, and riddle the Pope with bullets as he staggers out of the flames?

Wow.  Just, wow.

By now, I'm pretty much used to reading anti-Catholic hate  speech.  I see it all the time, even in the comments section of the NCRegister website.  But this one, this just takes the cake.  Sure, the guy was trying to make some half-hearted critique of the Afghanistan war, but the very idea that he can write something like that speaks volumes about his attitude toward Catholics.  I'm not suggesting he has violent fantasies, but I don't think it's a stretch to assume he hates us.

And the really sad thing is, this doesn't surprise me.  Here I am, 22 years old and in the prime of my life, and nothing shocks me anymore.  At least I can say this; the unhinged rants of this man, and of men like Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins and all the other anti-Catholics will not change the truth of the Catholic faith or of the innocence of the Holy Father. 

I will be praying for their souls.  They will not like it, but I will.

Pax Christi.

No comments:

Post a Comment